I’ve had allergies and asthma issues my whole life, and with those health issues comes some practical problems that a person needs to solve. One of those is expectorating phlegm / mucus / gunk from the lungs.
Just by stumbling around and experimenting for years, I’ve managed to come up with a few methods of clearing phlegm. These don’t require over the counter medication or drugs.
Caveat: these work for me. That doesn’t necessarily mean these exercises/ideas are right for you.
- Deep breathing sets a la the Wim Hoff Method with periods of breath holding with full lungs and with empty lungs
- A good long run followed by water with cayenne pepper, lemon juice and cane sugar, honey or maple syrup
- Peppermint tea with deep breaths and long breath holds, followed my forceful coughing
- Take a hot, steamy shower, and plug the tub so that water doesn’t get out. Drop essential oils like eucalyptus or peppermint into the tub and breath deeply. Don’t do breath-holds near water without supervision.
- Sprints. Practice holding your breath afterwards.
- Honeyed red wine (my favorite red wine is Montes Alpha Pinot Noir 2015) with cayenne pepper. Practice deep breaths and breath holding.
- Smoke some good clean marijuana and practice deep breaths and breath holds. For whatever reason, I tend to practice these breath holds more when I smoke. I’m not sure why. This is highly anecdotal, of course, but I tend to do a better job cleaning out my lungs when I smoke marijuana. Or maybe I’m just creating easy-to-expectorate phlegm with the smoking. Either way, I feel productive at my goal.
Combine any or all of these methods together for a potentially effective expectoration session and get that nasty phlegm out of your lungs so that you can breath in more good gas and generate more power.